Sometimes extracting a tooth is necessary to prevent more decay or infection.
What is it?
When you have a damaged tooth, your dentist will want to fix it and save the tooth by using dental treatments such as root canals, crowns or fillings. But if the tooth is too badly damaged, then extraction is required.
At your first appointment they will examine and assess your teeth and recommend the best treatment option. Good oral hygiene and regular dentist visits can often prevent the need for tooth extraction.
You need to know
- At least 2 appointments
- At the first consultation visit your dentist will examine your teeth
- At the second visit you will have your tooth or teeth extracted. Further appointments may be needed if you have any problems or issues with your extraction
How long does it take?
- The consultation will usually take around 30 minutes
- The extraction will usually take about 1 hour
You may be asked about
- Your dental history and medical history
- Your normal oral care routine at home
Before your appointment
Before surgery with oral sedation you should:
- Follow the pre-sedation protocol given to you by your dentist
- Take pre-operative medication at the time prescribed
- Wear something warm and comfortable with loose sleeves
- Ensure you have someone pick you up from your appointment and accompany you home
After your appointment
If you have had any wisdom teeth extraction procedure done:
- Use ice packs to prevent swelling during the first 48 hours
- Do not rinse your mouth out on the day of the surgery as it will cause bleeding
- Do not smoke for as long as possible after surgery
- Be careful with hot food and drinks
- Eat a soft food diet
- On the day after the removal, rinse three times a day after meals with warm, salt water
If you’ve had surgery under sedation, you must:
- Be accompanied home
- Rest for around 2 to 4 hours following surgery
- Not drive or operate machinery until the following day
Book your appointment today!
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.