Getting a bridge is a great option if you have missing teeth!
Bridges have many important cosmetic and functional purposes. They are used to bridge the gap created by missing teeth and improve the appearance and function of the mouth so you can chew and speak more easily.
What is it?
A bridge is a fixed prosthetic device that is cemented onto existing teeth to fill the gap from a missing tooth or teeth. The bridge is supported by the teeth on either side of the gap.
During your first visit, the teeth beside the gap are prepared. Impressions of your teeth are then made and are sent to a technician to create a model of the bridge.
While your bridge is being made, your dentist will make a temporary bridge for you. At your next appointment in our Vancouver dental clinic, your temporary bridge will be removed and the permanent one will be placed and adjusted to achieve a proper fit. The bridge is then permanently cemented into place.
You need to know
- At least 2 appointments
- At the first visit your dentist will prepare the teeth next to the gap and impressions of your teeth are made for the technician to form a model of the bridge. Your dentist will make you a temporary bridge to wear
- At the second visit your new bridge will be permanently cemented in place
- Further appointments may be needed once the bridge has been fitted, to check or adjust the fit
How long does it take?
- The first appointment will usually take around 90 minutes
- The fitting of the bridge will usually take around 60 minutes
You may be asked about
- Your dental history and medical history
- Your regular oral health care routine
Before your appointment
- No special preparation needed
After your appointment
- With your temporary bridge you should avoid eating hard or sticky food
- With your permanent bridge you might feel some discomfort at first while you get used to it. We also recommend eating soft foods for the first couple of days