Oral surgery is surgery of the mouth, face and jaw. It’s performed when you need more complex dental treatment.
What is it?
Oral surgery has been around for hundreds of years. Over the years, modern technology has made oral surgery faster, more advanced, and more comfortable for patients.
Some of the common procedures that oral surgeons perform are:
- Wisdom tooth removal
- Surgical dental implant placement
- Apicectomy, which is an operation where the end of the root tip is removed
You need to know
- At least 2 appointments
- The first consultation visit is where your oral surgeon will go over your surgery, including the cost
- The next visit will be for the surgery
- Further appointments may be needed following the surgery to assess your healing progress and make any necessary adjustments
How long does it take?
- The consultation will usually take around 30 to 45 minutes.
- Treatment visits will usually be at least 1 to 2 hours, however they will vary depending on the scale of the treatment
You may be asked about
- Your dental history and medical history
- Your oral health care routine at home
Before your appointment
FNo special preparation is needed beforehand, however it would be beneficial to have knowledge of your dental and medical history on hand.
Before surgery with oral sedation you should:
- Take pre-operative medication at the time prescribed
- Have someone accompany you and drive you to your appointment
- Follow the pre-sedation fasting protocol given to you by your dentist
- Wear something warm and comfortable with loose sleeves
After your appointment
- Use ice packs as much as possible to prevent swelling during the first 48 hours
- Don’t rinse your mouth out on the day of the surgery as it will cause bleeding
- Don’t smoke for as long as possible after surgery
- Be careful with hot food and drinks
- Eat a soft food diet
- On the day after the removal, rinse three times a day after meals with warm, salty water
If you have had surgery with oral sedation, you must:
- Be accompanied home
- Rest for around 2 to 4 hours following surgery
- Not drive or operate machinery until the following day
Book your appointment today!
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.